Cloud Storage and How it Works
One of the best and most recent ways of storing our documents is on the cloud. Cloud storage is a service model in which data is maintained, managed, backed up remotely and made available to users over a network (typically the Internet).
With your data stored on the cloud, its possible to download or access your files from any computer in the world as long as it’s connected to the internet.
Cloud storage can provide the benefits of greater accessibility and reliability; rapid deployment; strong protection for data backup, archival and disaster recovery purposes; and lower overall storage costs as a result of not having to purchase, manage and maintain expensive hardware. There are many advantages to using cloud storage, however, cloud storage does have the potential for security and compliance concerns that are not associated with traditional storage systems like flash drives, or external hard disk.
Can Cloud Storage Be Trusted?
How is cloud storage used?
Types of Cloud Storage
There are four different types of cloud storage. Personal, Public, Private and Hybrid.
Personal Cloud Storage
Also known as mobile cloud storage, personal cloud storage is a subset of public cloud storage that applies to store an individual’s data in the cloud and providing the individual with access to the data from anywhere. It also provides data syncing and sharing capabilities across multiple devices. Apple’s iCloud is an example of personal cloud storage. To set up your personal cloud storage account follow these steps below
- Open up the own Cloud software on your computer, and click “configure.”
- Add the URL of your own Cloud server, and your login credentials.
- Now, you need to select the files and folders you want to sync. Click “Add folder” and select a folder on your computer.
- Follow the basic onscreen instructions to install own Cloud. After a couple of minutes, it’ll redirect you to the login page.
Public Cloud Storage
Public cloud storage is just like private cloud storage. the main difference between public and private clouds is that you aren’t responsible for any of the management of a public cloud hosting solution. Your data is stored in the provider’s data center and the provider is responsible for the management and maintenance of the data center.
Public clouds are the most common way of deploying cloud computing. The cloud resources are owned and operated by a third-party cloud service provider and delivered over the Internet. Microsoft Azure is a good example of a public cloud.
Private Cloud Storage
The private cloud storage is a form of cloud storage where the enterprise and cloud storage provider is integrated into the enterprise’s data center. In private cloud storage, the storage provider has an infrastructure in the enterprise’s data center that is typically managed by the storage provider. Private cloud storage helps resolve the potential for security and performance concerns while still offering the advantages of cloud storage.
- Amazon Virtual Private Cloud. Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC) is part of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud.
- VMware Private Cloud.
- Rackspace Private Cloud (Powered by OpenStack)
Hybrid Cloud Storage
Hybrid cloud storage is a combination of public and private cloud storage where some critical data resides in the enterprise’s private cloud while other data is stored and accessible from public cloud storage.
This form of storage is important because it gives you the flexibility, scalability and on-demand access to extra storage and computes resources of the public cloud without having to sacrifice the security, predictability, and performance of local infrastructure.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Cloud Storage
There are many benefits to using cloud storage, most notable is file accessibility. Files stored in the cloud can be accessed at any time from any place so long as you have Internet access. Another benefit is that cloud storage provides provider organizations with off-site (remote) backups of data which reduces costs associated with disaster recovery. Here are some more advantages of cloud storage.
Advantages of Cloud Storage
- Usability: All cloud storage services reviewed in this topic have desktop folders for Mac’s and PCs. This allows users to drag and drop files between the cloud storage and their local storage.
- Bandwidth: You can abstain from messaging records to people and rather send a web to connect to beneficiaries through your email.
- Accessibility: Documents stored can be gotten from anywhere by means of an Internet connection.
- Disaster Recovery: It is very prescribed that organizations have a crisis reinforcement plan prepared on account of a crisis. Distributed storage can be utilized as a back‐up plan by organizations by giving a moment duplicate of significant documents. These records are put away at a remote area and can be gotten to through a web connection.
- Cost Savings: Businesses and associations can regularly diminish yearly working expenses by utilizing distributed storage; distributed storage costs around 3 pennies for every gigabyte to store information inside. Clients can see extra cost investment funds since it doesn’t require inside capacity to store data remotely.
Unfortunately, the biggest disadvantage of cloud storage is that users are limited by bandwidth. If your Internet connection is slow or unstable, you might have problems accessing or sharing your files. Organizations that require a large amount of storage may also find costs increase significantly after the first few gigabytes of data stored. However, other disadvantages of cloud storage are listed below.
Disadvantages of Cloud Storage
- Usability: Be cautious when utilizing drag/drop to move a report into the cloud storage envelope. This will forever move your record from its unique organizer to the cloud storage area. Complete a reorder rather than drag/drop on the off chance that you need to hold the report’s unique area notwithstanding moving a duplicate onto the cloud storage envelope.
- Bandwidth: Several cloud storage administrations have a particular transmission capacity stipend. On the off chance that an association outperforms the given allowance, the extra charges could be critical. In any case, a few suppliers permit boundless data transfer capacity. This is a factor that organizations ought to think about when taking a look at a cloud storage supplier.
- Accessibility: If your internet is down or you have no internet connection, then you have no access to view your data except internet connection is restored
- Data Security: There are worries with the wellbeing and protection of significant information put away remotely. The likelihood of private information mixing together with different associations makes a few organizations uneasy.
- Software: If you need to have the option to control your records locally through numerous gadgets, you’ll have to download the administration on all devices.
How do I access my cloud storage?
- Open the Cloud Storage browser in the Google Cloud Platform Console. Open the Cloud Storage browser.
- Select your log bucket.
- Download or view your logs by clicking on the appropriate log object.
How secure is a cloud?