Best Rugged laptops of 2020
Last Updated on
The best-rugged laptops are made to withstand drops, knocks, water, dust, and extreme temperatures. So irrespective of where you’ll be using these laptops, they have been made to survive such attacks.
The best rugged laptops offers robust build quality that allows you to get your job done without worrying about damaging your laptop.
Most of the best-rugged laptops won’t look slim and lightweight, they are often built with rigid and robust cases that can handle high pressure, extreme drops and even exposure to a liquid without getting damaged. Without drought, these laptops have been well reviewed, tested and certified as the best rugged laptops of 2019 after being subjected to extreme test.
So, if you are an engineer, scientists or a laborer and you always on the field, you’ll probably need one of these best rugged laptops. Without wasting much time, here are the five best rugged laptops of 2019 below.
The very best rugged laptop
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100U | Graphics: Intel Graphics 520 | RAM: 4GB | Screen: 14-inch 1366 x 768 | Storage: 128GB SSD | Connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth, optional GPS, LTE | Weight: 3.9kg | Dimensions: 356 x 246 x 52mm
If you need a rugged laptop that can handle anything the planet can throw at it, you’ll want to get your hands on the Dell Latitude 14 Rugged Extreme. Just as the name implies, It’s a well-designed rugged laptop that meets military standard requirements. It features a rigid magnesium alloy build, shock-absorbent case, is IP65 certified against dust, sand, and water. Also, it can even handle extreme temperatures. Like the rest of Dell’s catalog, you can configure the Dell Latitude 14 Rugged Extreme however you feel like – or however you can afford. On the downside, these laptops are heavy, and lack good RAM, only 4GB ram available. However, they are very strong, durable and can withstand anything.
Very rugged design
Can configure the hardware
Only 4GB of RAM in the base model
Big and heavy
A fantastic rugged laptop from Dell
CPU: Intel Core i5-6300U processor | Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 M360 | RAM: 8GB | Screen: 14-inch 1920 x 1080 | Storage: 128GB SSD | Connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, LTE, Ethernet | Weight: 1.9kg | Dimensions: 347 x 243 x 44.4mm
Another fantastic rugged laptop from Dell is Dell latitude 14 Rugged. Like we all know, when it comes to the best laptops, including best-rugged laptops, Dell is one of the leading manufacturers right now. The Dell Latitude 14 Rugged is a tough laptop that combines a rigid outer shell with quick components that are powerful enough for the category – including a 6th-generation Intel Core processor and dedicated AMD Radeon graphics. In addition, the display is decent, rocking a matte finish that makes it comfortable to use outside – probably where it’ll be most used. On the downside, this laptops lacks ports for external devices and also comes with a low capacity hard drive. However, they are strong, affordable and are built to last.
Low capacity hard drive
Lack of ports
Best Rugged 2-in-1 laptop
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300U processor | Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620 | RAM: 8GB | Screen: 12-inch 2160 x 1440 | Storage: 256GB SSD | Connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, LTE, Ethernet | Weight: 2.76kg | Dimensions: 313.0 x 288.4 x 46.1mm
Looking for the best rugged 2-in-1 laptops? Look no further, the Panasonic Toughbook CF-33 is right here for you. This rugged 2-in-1 has flexibility that most rugged laptops lacks. If you need something that’s easy to carry while you do stock takes and jot down notes, then tablet mode will work wonders. Then, if you need to type up some documents, you can attach the keyboard and comfortably type away. Although they are expensive and heavy, but it’s one of the only best rugged 2-in-1 laptops that can actually take a beating.
CPU: Intel Celeron N3350 processor | Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 500 | RAM: 2 – 8GB | Screen: 11.6inch 1366 x 768 | Storage: 128GB SSD | Connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth, | Weight: 1.35kg | Dimensions: 207 x 302.4 x 19.9mm
It might surprise you but actually, the HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE is not just a normal laptop but it’s actually categorized as one of the best rugged laptops. Although they where not designed for big drops and dangerous environments like Dell extreme rugged and the rest, it’s still one of the best rugged laptops for most everyday users. They are built to withstand more knocks, drops and liquids than the everyday normal laptop. This is due to an industrial rubberized body, spill-resistant keyboard, and Corning Gorilla Glass 4 display. Even though it’s as robust as some of the other rugged laptops on this list, they are still portable and the screen can be flipped. This makes another best rugged 2-in-1 laptop on this list.
- 2-in-1 design
- Not as rugged as other rugged laptops
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100U processor | Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 520 | RAM: 8GB | Screen: 11.6-inch 1366 x 768 | Storage: 128GB SSD | Connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth, | Weight: 1.5kg | Dimensions: 300 x 210 x 22.3mm
The Lenovo ThinkPad 11e is more like a standard laptop that just so happens to be a bit rugged and is somehow similar to the HP Probook x360. Although lenovo are not very known for making rugged laptops, but you can just tell that Lenovo has put effort into the construction of this device, as it includes more robust inputs, and can survive drops of up to 90cm. In addition, it features military specifications, which makes this laptop survive harshest conditions. What’s more, it’s affordable, while still offering enough processing power for everyday tasks. On the downside, they are bulky and heavy when compared to normal laptops.
Bulky compared to normal laptops
How do I choose a good laptop?
- Pick a Platform: Mac, Windows or Chrome OS?
- Decide If You Want a 2-in-1 laptop or a normal laptop.
- Choose the Right Size. Could be a mini laptop, a normal size screen or a laptop with a large screen.
- Check That Keyboard and Touchpad.
- Pick Your Specs. Could be HP laptops, Dell Laptops, or Lenovo as the case may be.
- Check the Battery Life. A good laptop should have a battery life of about 7 hours.
- Plan Based on Your Budget. Don’t spend more than your budget. You can check here for the best cheap laptops. You might find one that meets your budget.
What should we check before buying a laptop?
- Size: When it comes to laptops, size matters. be sure if you want a mini laptop, a normal laptop or a laptop with a wide screen.
- Screen quality: Since you’ll probably end up staring at your laptop screen hours at a time, you’ll probably want to make sure you get a screen that is comfortable to look at and use.
- Keyboard quality: Make sure you get a keyboard that is easy to understand and comfortable to use.
- CPU: depending on what you’ll be using your system for, make sure you get a laptop with a good processor speed
- RAM: when it comes to the issue of RAM, whichever system you’ll be going for, make sure the RAM size is noting below 8GB.
- Storage: This is where you’ll be storing most of your files, get a good storage something above 500GB is good and go for a laptop with an SSD drive.
- Battery Life: A laptop with a good battery life will last for up to 8 hours and above.
- USB 3.0: this will enable you connect external drives like external hard drives, USB mouse and more. Check and make sure the laptops has the USB port 3.0 it’s always colored blue.
- Finger Print Reader: If your are security cautious, you should go for a laptop with this feature. it will enable you secure your laptop against password hackers.
- Build Quality: Finally get a laptop that is well designed and durable. Most of the laptops on this list are examples of strong, rugged and durable laptops. However, depending on what you want to do with your laptop, you should search for a laptop that is strong, durable and well built.